So this past weekend we took a hiking day trip from Sacramento up to South Lake Tahoe & Echo Lake! I had never seen Lake Tahoe so I was very excited to see it! We left around 8am (an hour later than we said we were going to, but what can you do) it took us around an hour and a half to get to Echo Lake. We arrived around 9:30 and there was literally no parking left. The parking lot and all of the spaces on the road for like a mile up were full so we circled around like 5 times before we found a spot on the street far away from the trail head. Moral of the story is: we needed to wake up earlier and arrive around 8am to get a spot close to the trail head so if you plan on hiking this trail, arrive early, early, early!!!
This was Brewer’s (my precious dog child) first hike & he was a pro at dodging the rocks & keeping up with us-he even ran ahead for most of the time. It was definitely tiring for him because he’s so little and not completely use to going on long & tiring walks. The lake was beautiful & the air was crisp & refreshing. It was a nice break from the 105 degree weather we’ve had everyday in Sacramento. We hiked for an hour and a half and then turned around because Brewer was wiped out. I highly recommend this trail on Echo Lake because it wasn’t crowded (except for the parking lot) and it was challenging but definitely doable & the scenery was out of this world! One of my favorite things about living in Northern California is all of the nature and gorgeous scenery we’re surrounded by!
After we finally made it back to our car, we drove over to Lake Tahoe so I could see it. It took around 30 minutes to get to it because of traffic but it was a Saturday and people were headed to the lake so traffic was worse than it normally is. As I expected, Lake Tahoe was amazingggggg, I’ve never seen anything like it and now all I want to do is go back and spend a whole weekend there! After seeing Lake Tahoe, we were exhausted and all we wanted to do was eat and go and chill at home. Once we got back, Brewer was in desperate need for a bath so I gave him a bath and then we cooked out and laid low for the rest of the night!
Sunday morning we decided to sleep in a little bit and get a slow start to our day. After we got up, we spent our morning watching Ozarks (literally the best show on Netflix rn if you’re looking for a new one to start) and making eggs and breakfast potatoes. Honestly, that’s all I want out of a Sunday morning. We finally got ourselves together and left the house to go out and get some coffee at our fav local spot- Temple Coffee- and then went to run some boring house errands. We spent the rest of our Sunday binge watching Ozarks and The Keepers & I enjoyed every minute of it!
One of my favorite things in the world to eat is chicken salad. Back in Georgia we have a place called Chicken Salad Chick and they literally have 25 different flavors of chicken salad but since we don’t have any here in Cali, I am forced to make my own chicken salad. I have put my recipe for Sriracha Chicken Salad below and I have to say it is pretty good & healthyish! I also like to make a lot of it so it lasts a few days for lunches! ( it’s my fav thing to eat after a hard Orange Theory Fitness workout!)
SRIRACHA CHICKEN SALAD
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded (or you can boil your own chicken breasts and shred them- just depends on how much time you have!)
- 2 tablespoons of Kraft Olive Oil Mayo- only 100 calories! (Has half the fat of regular mayo- don’t get me wrong, I LOVE mayo but it’s just not good for ya)
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha (or more just depending on how spicy you like it- I always end up adding extra when I’m eating it.)
- 1 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 cup of chopped cucumbers
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro- can be subbed with parsley if you don’t like cilantro.
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red peppers
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Mix the green onions, cucumbers, and cilantro together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken to the bowl.
- Add in the olive oil mayo, sriracha, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Stir everything together until all of the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Enjoy! I love to put my chicken salad on top of a bed of romaine lettuce or arugula- basically whatever green I have on hand!
(It’s also really good with tortilla chips as a snack dip!)
SHOES// Steve Madden
BAG// Rebecca Minkoff
ICED COFFEE// Temple Coffee